With guest host Mike Keas, JP Moreland discusses his new book, Finding Quiet. He addresses the relative evidence for the soul and the brain, the integration of faith with knowledge from the social and natural sciences, and biblical and practical ways to retrain your brain and body to defeat habits of anxiety and depression.
- 01:15 | Knowledge of the soul versus of the brain
- 02:00 | Atoms arranged in space and the brain as a cloud
- 03:00 | Does the brain exist on a materialistic view?
- 04:40 | Integrating faith with the natural and social sciences
- 05:40 | John Wesley on a great and dangerous mistake
- 06:00 | Freedom to follow the evidence
- 07:30 | The precedent of Kepler, Newton, and Galileo
- 08:45 | How do thinking and feeling interrelate?
- 09:15 | Talking ourselves into and out of distress
- 10:15 | Anxiety and depression as largely habits
- 10:45 | Muscle memory, “golf flesh”, and “golf righteousness”
- JP Moreland’s Website
- Finding Quiet: My Story of Overcoming Anxiety and the Practices that Brought Peace by JP Moreland at Amazon.com
- Romans 6